Monday, August 28, 2006

The Berliner Blog #2

Contents:
- I Live With the Dead
- Poor Finn

I Live With the Dead


It sounds morbid but its true, I live with the dead. Within one block from my flat there are three cemeteries, two Christian and one Jewish, and I think I’ve figured out why. At the far end of the cemeteries is the Flughafen Tempelhof, one of Berlin’s three airports. Tempelhof is famous as the site of the Berlin Airlift (I had to look that up online, all my guidebook said was that its supposed to close in 2005 - here’s hoping!). I guess they figured the dead wouldn’t mind the noise of planes coming in for a landing or as one German man I met said, “Well if a plane crashes at least its convenient!”

The first time I noticed the planes I was walking down the street. There was a sound, very plane-like, getting somewhat louder - then BOOM! Everyone on the street jumped, bent over and grabbed their ears as a plane shot over us. It was so funny. Well the first time anyways. I’m so glad my flat has double windows…

Poor Finn


I lied, not all my roommates are German. This is Finn and he is from the streets in Croatia. I think Finn understands more German that I do, but I can speak more. We don’t talk much, our communication is more through petting, but I can tell he likes me. Last Saturday I spent four hours cleaning the apartment (it’s the least I can do for staying here free until I take the room in September), which was great because I was hung-over and I love to clean when I’m hung-over. This was no easy mission because poor Finn has been losing his hair this summer. The whole apartment was covered in black hair that did not like to be picked-up. It took a while but cured my hangover perfectly! We think (hope) Finn has finished shedding.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Kristian: Not sure if I'm doing this correctly....don't know what all the instructions mean - and do I need a new identity and an account to do this?? I have really enjoyed your first 2 Blogs and am so pleased you made me a recipient (first Blog I've been sent, and I look forward to future ones). Busy summer season in St. Andrews is coming to an end, but fall season appears to be active too.

Much love from Auntie H.

Anonymous said...

Hey Little Kristian,

Your blog is fantastic. Keep it coming. Made me laugh out loud today.
Glad that you are settling in. How does that Sternburg beer go down? From the number of cases it looks like you may like it! Just be wary of any Sanchez's.....
Miss you and keep having a wonderful adventure.

Bun X0

Anonymous said...

"Finn" huh ? The store IS looking for a mascot.....

Anonymous said...

ps - have you told your new roomates about your undescended testicles yet ?